Do you use toner solely based on habit or do you know the actual benefits of using toner? Let us walk you through how you can maximize the results from the toner you’ve chosen to make your skin goals a reality.
Q. First Of All, WHAT IS TONER?
Toner is the skincare step done after cleansing that is meant to hydrate your skin and infuse it with active ingredients. It may often look like water but we promise it is so much more than that. Toners, sometimes referred to in K-beauty circles as “essence,” are formulated to be fast-penetrating for your skin barrier and to deliver active ingredients to help you achieve your skin goals.
Some of our readers may be familiar with toners as an “astringent” step, as was commonly marketed in the 90s and early 2000s to help sebum and acne control. But those sorts of astringents would strip oils off the skin and dry out your face, which is the last thing we want. So it is important to understand that today’s toner’s are meant to supplement your skin and entire routine, not undermine it.
Q. How Should I Apply Toner?
There are a couple of methods for toner application but they all have one thing in common: do not completely towel dry your face - when your skin remains slightly wet it actually absorbs skincare better and all that extra moisture won’t be wasted.
- The simplest way is to pour some toner on your hands after cleansing, and “tap tap tap” it directly into your skin. We call this the “Chap-to” method in Korea.
- The second way is called “Dak-to” in Korean. Simply put, using this method you would apply the toner onto a cotton pad and wipe it on your skin, simultaneously helping gently exfoliate your face but also deliver the toner ingredients straight to the skin.
- The third would be to create a “Mask Pack” for your face by applying the toner onto the cotton pad and adhering it to your face, mainly on your forehead, cheeks, chin and nose, to do an intensive hydrating treatment for your face. You can leave this on for a few minutes to let the toner absorb before moving on to your next skincare step.
The important thing to remember is that there is no right or wrong way to apply toner, as long as you’re using it after cleansing but before your serum/moisturizer/SPF step. If you’d like to watch our CEO, Joy, demonstrate all 3 ways of toner application mentioned above, you can click here.
Q. So what Is the Secret to Using Toner Properly?
Can you guess what is the secret to using toner? Well... it's layering! Skincare routine is all about steps and using your products in the proper order. A good rule of thumb to keep in mind is to apply your products from lightest to heaviest, creating layer after layer of goodness for your skin. Because toner is watery, the logical time to apply it is right after cleansing (remember our pro tip above about not drying your face completely) and before you apply your serum, moisturizer, and sunblock.
When you layer your toner and subsequent skincare products properly, you will see results!
Q. What Toner Does Team Eunogo Recommend for My Skin Type?
- If you have Aging Skin, try Dermarssance O to Rocket Collagen Serum Mist that combines 99.9% of pure oxygen and collagen to increase skin absorption and elasticity. It also acts as an anti-oxidant to provide skin vitality and care for anti-aging.
- If you have Sensitive or Oily Skin, try Ceramine Dual-Balance Solution Toner that contains Centella Asiatica to soothe and and provide healing properties, protects skin from external stress. The Ceramine Dual-Balance Solution Toner normalize the skin condition by lowering the skin temperature and adjusting the PH to slightly acidic=Healthy skin.
- If you have Dry Skin, try De:Maf Here-Oh My First Serum a.k.a Bubble Toner. This unique, bubble type toner is formulated with a unique ratio of premium quality hyaluronic acid (less than 500 dalton size), macadamia seed oil, jojoba oil and evening primrose flower extract to strengthen skin barriers and making your skin hydrated and supple all day long. Layer the bubble toner for extra hydration.
- If you’re looking for a Vegan toner, try BEIGIC Treatment Essence. Coincidentally, Ceramine Dual-Balance Solution Toner is also EVE Vegan certified! Infused with BEIGIC’s key ingredient - green coffee bean, as well as niacinamide and 6 peptide complexes, it provides instant hydration to skin, balances skin PH level, promotes natural skin regeneration, brightens skin tone and smoothen skin texture.
Shop more Eunogo skincare here.
Follow Eunogo's skincare Instagram account @eunogoshop.
Follow Eunogo Shop's TikTok account @eunogoshop.
Subscribe to Eunogo's YouTube channel here.